Monday, November 8, 2010

Progress Report - Week One

If I had one word to wrap up the last week it would be tough.  A second word?  Doable.  Sun Tzu once wrote "according as circumstances are favorable, one should modify one's plans."  That is exactly what was needed and I found a new foundation for my writing career.  Self-published, nonfiction ebooks.  Originally that was a sideline project, but it makes more sense to approach them first and work on nonfiction articles for magazines on the side.  Why? 

Because writing is like exercise.  You can't expect to be at your goal on day one.  Instead, you have to practice and work hard at it.  Writing nonfiction articles for magazines is unlike anything I have done before.  It is unrealistic to expect day thirty quality out of day one work.  But in the meantime, I don't want to be idle in the market.  That is where the ebooks come in.  I have about ten years of experience with book length works in fiction.  But more importantly, book length works--albeit short book length works--feel like a more natural fit.  So, that is why, instead of magazines articles, ebooks will be the foundation to my writing career. 

Where does one start?  With outlines--to be covered in different blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment