Monday, November 1, 2010

Day One of a New Life, New Job: Task One - Web Page and Twitter

Although, I started freelance writing earlier than November, today is my official day to make it a full-time occupation.  I planned on having things set up so I could start doing real writing, but I am behind on that.  I had to start with crafting a web page.  Mommy Millionaire Kim Lavine wrote that

"your Web site [is] your virtual storefront.  It's the door your customers come into on their way to meet you.  It's probably the single most important factor prospective customers and vendors alike will use to evaluate you."  

Even though I am freelance writing, this still felt true.  But to follow that advice, I first needed a logo, for my site Chiaroscuro House.


LOGO

Originally, my logo was going to look a little like the Euro symbol, but with the "H" on the lower curve of the "C".  To incorporate the C and H of Chiaroscuro House.



That is ok but not quite what I want.  Then I created one by accident where the C looked like a eclipse or crescent moon, with a circle inside with the "H".  But that looked like the 8-Ball when I darkened in the weird "C".


Finally, I hit upon something that looked like the cent sign and that used black, white, and shades of grey:


 All of this was done in MS Paint.  I believe MM Kim Lavine used Microsoft  Power Point.

WEB PAGE

I had a logo, but I was not yet done.  I needed a web page, or rather a new one.  But I am running low on time.  So, I took MM Kim Lavine's advice on keeping it simple.  I made it look like a business card.  I plan on doing more of these for different markets and contacts, but for now I have a general one.  It has my blogs, my contact information, my tag line, and sample writings.  You can find it here:



TWITTER

I am a Twitter virgin, but I do have library book on Twitter for Dummies, which is due back on the 4th no matter what.  So might as well use it.  I already had the tools necessary to set myself up:  My logo, my tagline, my general business e-card mentioned above.  I used these in my profile.

Ta Da!  Although I had a late start on freelance writing setup due to my business class and a late start on setting up today due to my desire to start my nano project at midnight (read more here), I managed to get something done.  After a tweet and a break, I am going to get some actual writing done.

No comments:

Post a Comment